Use these steps if you have not yet reversed a cheque and are wanting to use the same cheque number. If you are cancelling a cheque as it is no longer required or is unpresented, you simply follow the steps to cancel the cheque.
There are two options available to you to cancel a cheque and reuse the cheque number:
- Where an End of Day has not been generated;
- Where an End of Day has been generated.
Where an End of Day Run has not been generated and you realised that you used the wrong cheque number when issuing a payment. These steps also work where you have also accidentally marked something as paid or need to cancel a direct deposit run with cheque numbers e.g. 199xxxxxx
- Go to Main Menu > Accounting > Accounts Payable > Cheque Processing > Un-Print Cheques.
- Enter in the Bank No. e.g 11.
- Cheque No From and Cheque No To. This can be the individual cheque number or a range of cheque numbers.
- Select OK.
- This will reinstate the un-printed cheques as unpaid vouchers.
Range of Cheques:
Where an End of Day run has been generated, and you realise that the wrong cheque number was used when entering a payment.
- Go to Menubar > Enquiries > Cheque Enquiry and Search by the cheque e.g. Bank 11; Cheque 1001. At the bottom of the screen you will see the voucher details. Take note of the Voucher Number.
- Go to Menubar > Enquiries > Voucher Enquiry and Search by the Voucher number from step 1;
- Once the search results have been returned, select the voucher > right click > Amend Cheque No. and Date;
- Modify the Cheque No to be 9991001;
- This will amend the cheque number to be 9991001. You can then go back to the Cheque Enquiry Search and Search by: Cheque No. 9991001.
- Select the Cheque > Right Click > Cancel Cheque.
- Cheque number 9991001 will be cancelled and cheque 1001 will be available to be reused.
Where you are cancelling a cheque and not using the un-print cheque function this does not reinstate an unpaid voucher. You will need to re-enter the voucher again.
Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. Click to edit the macro and add or change labels.